Monday, September 26, 2011

Soundwalk

My soundwalk took place during my 20 minute walk to work in Astoria, Queens. When I first leave my apartment, I hear someone else closing their door. Listening more closely than usual, the sound of my boots walking down the granite stairs seemed louder and more defined. When I got to the buildings foyer I could hear my super shuffling around in the courtyard, organizing the garbage cans. They are metal, and the sound of the top clanking against the can echoes loudly through the courtyard. I continue out the door and I can hear a few birds making noise in the tree in front of my building. Walking towards 31st Ave. I can hear people walking out of their buildings, as well as a woman pushing a cart along the sidewalk. It makes a scraping sound as the wheels sluggishly drag along the rough pavement. I turn on 31st Ave. and the traffic sounds get louder. A few distant honks and then sound of engines running. I can hear a baby crying a few stories up. When I arrive at Stienway Street, a food cart vendor is cooking on his stove. The sizzling of meat and vegetables is loud as I walk by. As I cross Stienway Street I overhear some conversations of people speaking in Spanish. I walk to Newtown Road, and the background noise quiets down a little. There are a lot of trees lining the street and I can hear birds and other small animals scurrying around in them. A motorcycle speeds through an intersection and the buzzing whine of its engine drowns out all other sounds. I hear a radio playing some sort of Arabic music, its muffled and faint. I pass by a high school and people are playing soccer, so I can hear the sound of the ball being kicked and other players shouting. I walk passed the 46th Street R station, and the train passes below me, producing a faint rumble. Finally I arrive at Northern Blvd., and the traffic noises are much louder. The sound of cars passing by at speed dominates. I finally cross and a man on a bike rides by me. I hear the bike chain clicking against the sprocket. When I arrive at work, the sound of the automatic door opening mixes with the chatter of people inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment